Wednesday, October 3, 2018

On Indigenous Languages



What does "making official" mean?....Meaningless. The language must come from within the people. In Squamish we have a wonderful band person who has fostered her language and teaches it (Tsawsayia Spukwus). She is the model to follow...not some 'outside' dictum of officialdom.
This woman's work reflects her enthusiasm which has rubbed off on her people....and us. This can happen within any indigenous group in BC or any other Province and I hope it will...."Unofficially". I do not speak Norse or Latin; I speak what I learned in my village of origin in my time. Of course, the English language is a mixture of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, Latin, French and others...all from our history and naturally evolved; as all language should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment