Tuesday, May 30, 2023

 Emigration to Canada 1969

Well, it all started at the warden’s office of the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. I had just returned to do my Diploma in Education to tack on to my degree in Zoology. I was looking for a new place to live.

One option was a converted Edwardian three story house. It was run by a Pakistan family. They had divided many of the larger rooms with thin partitions to make more rentable room for students. The thing is, I had to find several students to fill it. There were already several volunteers, but I needed just one more. There was a guy in the waiting room who looked a good prospect. I called and, great; he wanted somewhere. His name was Ed. We were now full. It just so happened that he was also going to do a Dip. Ed. We moved in and conversations started.

Ed had had been working at a private school in BC. Canada and had returned to England to his Dip. Ed to give himself more scope for future employment. Although being born in the UK, he intended to return to Canada and, perhaps, work in regular public schools. He painted a rosy picture of Canada and I was impressed.  I stored this in my mind for later. I did my Dip.Ed. and got to know Ed well during that time learning more about BC. I got engaged while I was doing my course and the year rolled on through Christmas and through to the early spring.  As it happened Alison got pregnant. We were both of complete acceptance. All we could do was look ahead and be positive. Our families figuratively shrugged and gave us their support. I completed my Dip.Ed. and Alison completed her degree.

I secured my first job for September at a Comprehensive school at the west end of Newcastle. I had already done my long practicum there this year anyway. We got married June 22nd. at the University Church after a civil ceremony in the morning! Our baby was due at the end of December. Time to plan.  During my first year of work we lived in a flat on Elswick Road, small but comfortable. Richard, our baby was born on December 22nd.

Those cold foggy dark winter mornings waiting for the bus to school got me thinking that there could be something better. I recalled my conversations with Ed. I also knew that there were some Canadian Education recruiters at the University. We both attended and got interested in the possibility of emigration.  “All hands-on deck”. We attended the necessary interviews, had medicals etc. We decided to go to BC so now I had to get a job via mail. I kept trying right through to the time we had to book our flight. Still no job. Well I booked a flight over a month before Alison and the baby to Vancouver. Heads down and hope!

I left at the beginning of August. Alison and Richard would arrive at the end of August.

So, here I was on the plane to Vancouver, Canada. I was sitting next to a lady who was returning to Canada and had just been visiting her family. She asked why I was going to Canada. I told her I was emigrating and that my wife and baby would be following in a month. She looked surprised and sought more information, understandably. I said I would be seeking employment on arrival and explained the background circumstances. She asked where I would stay. I said I did not know yet…. more surprise from her! I told her I would get a taxi to the nearest motel and rethink. More surprise! She suggested the Y.M.C.A. I took her advice. I must say here that I had already sent my trunks with all we meagerly possessed to a friend of Ed’s in Point Grey.

So, here I was in the Y.M.C.A on Burrard street in Vancouver, Canada. In retrospect, such naivety! I was jet-lagged and tired. I soon realized I was not in a good place. I was propositioned twice by some very weird individuals. I had also, in the middle of an insomniac night, taken a walk at 1:00am down Davie street which, at that time, was of a very colourful reputation. In the next two days I contacted Ed’s friend who had received our trunks. He adamantly insisted that I come and stay with him until I found a job…salvation!

I went out every day for at least a week looking for employment, preferably teaching. I went to ‘Manpower’ one day and they said I would “probably be walking the streets in Christmas”. There were very few jobs in the paper. Well, I did get one in Oliver, BC. Hallelujah! My host Gordon introduced me to a friend who was prepared to ‘put me up’ until I started work! Will my luck ever run out?!

I worked during that month installing roof shingles and firefighting in Okanagan Falls. Gordon’s friend was Ben. He finished my driving instruction started in England. They told me I had to have ‘wheels’ in this Country. So, we visited a car salesman in Oliver. There were two cars in the show room. I got in one, liked it, and asked what it cost. He told me, and then said I could afford it with no payment for a month; saying I already had a trustworthy job in the local school. I bought it.

 All that remained was for me to get a license! That car sat in the parking lot of our new motel home until I got my license, three weeks later. I dutifully washed it every day! BTW, when my wife arrived, I did not have the license and exclaimed to her that we had a car. She immediately opened her mouth very wide! She had, incidentally, been apprehensive after receiving my letters about the indigenous wildlife presence around- such critters as: Rattlesnakes, Scorpions, Black widow spiders and Poison Ivy!

Soon I would start my new job in a new school in a new Country!

Unfortunately, I have to say that this next year was bittersweet. I made many friends, enjoyed the environment, hunting, fishing, and skiing; but I was given a lousy timetable. My principal was old school with a touch of paranoia. I left trailing some clouds of something I do not wish to dwell on. Ed, my old friend, had called me and invited me to seek a job at Squamish Howe Sound Secondary School. He was teaching there. I drove through the night for an interview and was accepted. Luck still with me!

We found an apartment, comfortable, near the school. Of course, as a new young teacher I was given a basic assignment again; junior science and general math. At least I did not have to teach English 9B! The year went fine, and I settled in. What a wonderful area we had come to. I progressed through the years and had many wonderful experiences teaching.

It took five years of ‘Landed Immigrant Status’ before we could become full Canadian Citizens.  After two years of teaching in Howe Sound Secondary I would be given permanent status in the District.

There will be much more in future sections of this narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment