Monday, June 11, 2018

On Preparing and Eating Soft-boiled Eggs

Do you eat soft-boiled eggs? How do you boil them, how long? How to you open them, which end, why? Do you know why brown bread is traditionally eaten with them?

We cover our eggs with cold water and put the eggs into the pan so that they are just covered. We then bring the water to the boil. At the point of boiling we time for 4 minutes. the eggs are then placed in egg cups with the pointed end up. The pointed end has no air space and so is 100% egg white (albumen). 

I tap twice at one point with a spoon and then using my thumb I fold back the top....Usually it shows a clean edge with no small fragments of shell. Then I eat. 

The apparent traditional reason for using brown bread is that there is a good content of B vitamins. Any runny part of the egg still may have an anti-B enzyme so the the bread helps to off-set any degradation. It is also a good taste experience! . 

Many cut their toasted bread into fingers and dip them into the yolk....yummy! This is just our way but follow your own bliss! Personalized rituals are fun. 

We have one for poached eggs too but that is another story.  I eat more than 300 eggs a year....My cholesterol level is good....The myth that eggs are not totally good for you has now been debunked and we have never had a salmonella attack by eating runny eggs. My wife and I are 72. 


But be careful of Romaine /Cos lettuce from your local Supermarket, apparently!

No comments:

Post a Comment